Mode C is as much for Calvin as it is for Chaos, as much for Cool as it is for Cold, as much for Class as it is for Crass.

Mode C is a way of life, the Calvin way of life which I am so fascinated by as to keep trying to make it my own way of life. But what exactly is Calvin's way of life, you ask...and I say that there are no clear answers to this one.

I strongly believe, however, that almost all the seriously critical fundamental concepts of life, they are just the bogies under Calvin's bed that he is afraid of. Everyhting else...Miss Wormwood, Susie, Mom and Dad, and of course above all, Hobbes...aren't they all merely the means that he uses to attack these bogies?

It is nothing, therefore, but the perspective of each of these players on the stage of Calvin's dramatic life that helps him fight these bogies and move on in his own unique way...listening to all but doing only what finally makes sense to his own individuality. This is what comes closest, I guess, to the Calvin way of leading one's life...

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Where do I start???


I don't know if I can spell confusion without confusion, I am so high-strung right now. Sankar (my colleague) called up in the morning to tell me that there might be some duty charged on the laptop that Gomathi (the onsite coordinator for my project) is going to bring for me from the US. The problem is that no one is really sure as to what the reality is. No one knows for sure if there is any duty and even if there is, how much it is. I personally feel that there will be some duty but ultimately, even if I combine the duty with the US price of the laptop, it will still be cheaper than any laptop that I buy in India (even after the bulk rate discount applicable if I buy along with the other IIMK students of my batch)

I need to do so many things and close so many issues before I finally leave Chennai that it has actually started to give me headaches in the middle of the night. I get up, all in sweat (not just due to the humid Chennai climate), and start (or rather continue) thinking about so many things. I still don't know what I will be doing with Abhijeet's stuff that is lying in the flat. I still have to see the doctor regarding Abhijeet's mother. I still have to finalize my travel plans from Chennai (although I have the tickets booked, I haven't heard a word from HR on the release date).

My Delivery Manager (the person who is going to give me the release order) is still in the US and is expected in Chennai only the next week. I need to find out Interior Designing course options for my sister in Pune. I still have to pack my things and make an inventory of all the stuff that I need to dispose off before leaving the flat. I also need to find out a new tenant for the flat who can come over immediately after I leave (so that my house owner pays me back the advance as soon as possible). There are so many things to do and I really don't know where and how to start...

5 comments:

Divya said...

heyy..... dont get all tensed up... that wouldn't really make things easier, will they??? just carry on , and i am sure everything will get done in due course of time...happens with everyone i guess...

Nitai said...

Yeah, it does happen with everyone but somehow, instead of taking that as a consolation, I am still trying to wish away the fact that everyone includes me, too :-)

Prithesh said...

You are right abt the laptop. Even with all the duties it would be cheaper than the ones you get here. One of my classmates just got a Dell Inspiron from the US through a friend last week and even after duties it turned out much cheaper. moreover you will not get such a configuration in India that easily so, i suggest that you grab the opportunity and buy that laptop. At K it will take 1 month at the least for you to get your laptop. It took our class around 2 months to finally get the laptops.

Nitai said...

Thanks for the tip Prithesh. It seems that the duty is 40% and with duty, the latest and best config machine costs around 75K. Do you feel it to be a bargain, even considering the bulk deals that you guys may have struck last time?
The same config costs about 85K in India (I enquired from the HCL delaer in Chennai)

Prithesh said...

Trust me!! It will be a damn sight cheaper than in India. Moreover the dealer in kozhikode might not have that config so he will have to order it from some other city ( this happened to us) so it adds a couple of thou to the cost. My experience has been to get the best deal possible outside campus than wait till you get to the campus and work out bulk deals. The bulk deals are not as cheap as they make it out to be. My cousin at IIMA bought a Compaq Presario from the open mkt for 77K and i bought the same config in a bulk deal frm campus for 75K and i had to wait an extra 2 months. Hardly worth it.