Mode C is as much for Calvin as it is for Chaos, as much for Cool as it is for Cold, as much for Class as it is for Crass.

Mode C is a way of life, the Calvin way of life which I am so fascinated by as to keep trying to make it my own way of life. But what exactly is Calvin's way of life, you ask...and I say that there are no clear answers to this one.

I strongly believe, however, that almost all the seriously critical fundamental concepts of life, they are just the bogies under Calvin's bed that he is afraid of. Everyhting else...Miss Wormwood, Susie, Mom and Dad, and of course above all, Hobbes...aren't they all merely the means that he uses to attack these bogies?

It is nothing, therefore, but the perspective of each of these players on the stage of Calvin's dramatic life that helps him fight these bogies and move on in his own unique way...listening to all but doing only what finally makes sense to his own individuality. This is what comes closest, I guess, to the Calvin way of leading one's life...

Friday, April 22, 2005

Same difference...or is it?

Things are getting better everyday and as I meet new people here at PwC, I realize that the summer internship is more about meeting new people and developing new contacts rather than poring over some management concept and just making a good presentation/report. We had a meeting with the technical support people here and I must say that the guys there are really good-natured apart from, of course, knowing their stuff thoroughly. I had a great one hour discussing not just the project related stuff with them, but also trying to learn Bengali from them...they wanted me to learn a little bit so that I could appreciate their jokes...promised to start off the lessons with the "gaalis", which they say are the stepping stones to learning any new language.

It is good to be able to see all the processes and policies of this company and compare the same to Infosys, my previous employer and to other companies whose policies I know of (either on account of their being in the IT industry or on that of my friends and relatives working there). It is at these times that I understand what you mean by the culture of a company...it differs so much from place to place.

I also got to meet the two people who had taken my interview for the summers and chosen me for PwC. Hearing them talk about how everyone was good and how they found it difficult to choose only two proved to be quite insightful...to think that I may have to make such choices myself a few years from now...ah, well.

As for the work, I did quite a lot and tied up some of the loose ends before leaving for PG at about 6 (yet again :-)). The movies for the day were Psycho and Psycho....yes, the original by Alfred Hitchcock and the most famous re-make starring Julianne Moore. I know that people might envy my time and pity my intellect that I have been strange enough to watch one after the other and compare two versions of the same movie. But believe me or not, this thing is interesting, trying to figure out the minor differences due to difference in time periods (about a fifty years), due to the difference in approach of the directors and due to so much more.

I felt that the original was by far better as far as the performances were concerned. The character who played Norman Bates was so accurate for a Psycho and the way he giggled was just perfect. Though the guy in the re-make tried something similar, he could not really achieve the same results. Morevoer, Marion Krane character was portrayed by a bewitchingly beautiful woman in the original while the re-make did not impress. Thankfully, the music or what can more aptly be called the background score (which is the soul of this movie) was done by the same person (or may be they used the same music) and thus was equally effective in both versions.

There were some minor differences in the treatment too with the modern one being a little more practical and in tune with the current times. I liked the part where the re-make tried to correct the original and the policeman asked for the registration papers along with the driving licence and then went to the car's bumper to check the number. In the original, the policeman had just asked for the driving licence and had gone ahead to inspect the car's number-plate...don't know if the car's registration number used to be mentioned on the driving licence all those years ago.

Another instance was when our Psycho guy was peering through the key hole and watching Marion undress...he was actually shown jacking off in the re-make and the girl was showwn fully undressed whereas in the original, he just had a satisfied look on the face with the girl still in her under garments...subtle differences, but all the same making up for some interesting emphasis on style...to each his own.

Today should be good in terms of work, too...first Friday at work when I am in formals but what the heck, got to finish off the work today and get going for the weekend...this time, it should be better compared to the last one...at least I hope so.

4 comments:

Arundhoti said...

For a nice weekend, make a trip to Science City( very close to salt lake where u have been wandering) and its definitely a better experience than "fishing"! Dont miss the "time machine" out there...u could even try out "Forum" on Elgin Road, though it might be a bit crowded over the weekend!
Enjoy!

Nitai said...

Thanks for the tip...did give a pass-over to the place from the outside last weekend but did not go inside...will go this time.

Have already tried Forum and been a spectator to its own version of "fishing"!

indiageniE said...

dada,itni movies dekh raho, i hope u will burn the better ones and bring them back to K.
atleast the ones i havent seen yet
:-)

starting with both psychos

Nitai said...

The original Psycho is the only one worth copying (the second one was a pathetic quality CD, anyways) and that I have already done...of course, if there are good ones, they will be a part of my CD collection, tension nahi lene ka, kya? :-)