Mode C is as much for Calvin as it is for Chaos, as much for Cool as it is for Cold, as much for Class as it is for Crass.

Mode C is a way of life, the Calvin way of life which I am so fascinated by as to keep trying to make it my own way of life. But what exactly is Calvin's way of life, you ask...and I say that there are no clear answers to this one.

I strongly believe, however, that almost all the seriously critical fundamental concepts of life, they are just the bogies under Calvin's bed that he is afraid of. Everyhting else...Miss Wormwood, Susie, Mom and Dad, and of course above all, Hobbes...aren't they all merely the means that he uses to attack these bogies?

It is nothing, therefore, but the perspective of each of these players on the stage of Calvin's dramatic life that helps him fight these bogies and move on in his own unique way...listening to all but doing only what finally makes sense to his own individuality. This is what comes closest, I guess, to the Calvin way of leading one's life...

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Of chance encounters with Cupid's arrows

With all batteries charged after a long weekend, I believed myself to be good for some solid work on Monday. The only thing that needed to be done was for some one to give me a little motivation. The first half had its share of motivation as I started work on my presentation that has to depict the process flows of all the HR procedures at PwC. After a few slides of some plain jane stuff, I decided to give things a twist (what with the time that I had to complete this thing) and introduced some animation into the presentation. I know that it also makes the presentation more readable but all the same, if I had been under pressure of time, I would certainly have skipped the part.

But skip I did not and as a result, at about quarter past two, I had this first phase of the presentation ready, full of hyperlinks and animation and boxes coming and arrows flying and what not. However, before I could impress my guide with the flashy things, she had to leave for some other work and I was left stranded, working some more to extend the presentation but necessarily, just reading up stuff to get more insight into the project and specifically the part that I am supposed to address.

That done, it was time for me to pack the bags and leave the office at about 6, which, as I am sure most of my colleagues will agree, is a tad early for a summer trainee. Whatever it may be, I was at my PG pretty soon, looking at ways and means to pass my time. Vikhyat, in one of his mails, had suggested that I (why me specifically???) should watch Khamosh and the tone, of course, was sarcastic (to be deduced to say that only I can like such a stupid movie). To cut a long story short, my mates at PG had got the CD of Khamosh and it turned out to be my entetainment masala for the next two hours. I must say that it is no classic but all the same, it is not too bad either. Loosely based on Ten Little Niggers and Psycho, the movie comes nowhere close to either of the originals but it entertains and that is what I was after.

The sumptuous and yet cheap dinner made up for whatever little mood crashing was caused by Khamosh and I was anything but Khamosh after dinner and a good long walk across the residential areas of Salt Lake. There were more hours to be spent before I hit the sack and there was another movie lying around. This one was supposed to be good but just how good it was, I realized only after I got into seeing it, tooth line and stinker.

"A fortunate accident" is how the word Serendipity is defined as and for me, it was a fortunate accident to be seeing this movie (just how it was an accident is a long story...some other time perhaps). Not boasting of any big stars, the movie however touches you like anything. With a chance meeting between a guy and a girl in a New York store (the fortunate accident) on Christmas eve opening the proceedings, it seemed like any other Yule spirit movies.

However, with the sharp focus on destiny and the girl deciding to give the guy a miss on the first night in the belief that if they are destined to meet, they will meet, the movie changed colors pretty fast. The rest of the movie is spent in conveying the truth in the concept of "The Plan of Life", as the protagonists search for each other years after that chance encounter, in the hope of meeting that elusive man/woman destiny has associated with them.

The final few moments of the movie, though smelling faintly of a wonders-will-never-cease Hindi movie, are good in their own way as they go on to re-inforce the belief of die-hard romantics (I used to count myself as one some time back) in the concept of true love and the concept of someone somewhere being made for you.

So it was, after two movies and a good dinner in the break between the two, that I fell off to sleep with thoughts of trying to rationalize the chance encounter funda and of course, instead of the Cupid's arrows, seeing my presentation's arrows flying all across the computer screen :-))

4 comments:

Vikhyat said...

Asshole....why do u run ur imagination so much...X-(
DO u remember how much u had hopped from shop to shop to get hold of that movie sheesha or something...it was bcuz of that i had said that u wud enjoy watching this one....
yes the tone was certainly sarcastic...but it was not on u idiot...
the actual murderer in the movie was of course the director the gr8 Mr. Deepak Tijori, who with such finesse murdered the movie...:))
anyways..i am glad to know that ModeC is up and running again...i accidentally tripped on it this time:)
chal enjoy ur summers and happy "fishing" :)). bye

Nitai said...

are baap re...what a violent first comment on my blog, Vikhyat!!!
Why do YOU let your imagination run wild...I was just kidding...anyways, you know that I don't miss any movie and given the time that I have at my disposal right now, no Khamosh can dare to escape my Panja...so there :-)

Vikhyat said...

hey,
guess yesterday was a lil too frustrating for me....this little bug in the macros i have been coding had been a pain in the neck for past 3 days.....and then searching for fixes i tripped on ur site (heheheh...dont ask me how:)) )
and then i see u accusing me of being sarcastic when in the first place i was trying to be humourous :| .... hence that violent first comment :)
btw, finally i cud fix it today :D and hence i m in a very excited mood rite now...and so I'll make up for yesterday...Nutkarsh...thou art the gr8est member of Bollywood audience that has ever graced this planet earth....thou who could handle the entire movie "Kisna" without batting an eyelid...thou who could "actually" understand what the movie Moksh was all about (for the uninitaited - its a confused movie by a confused director about a confused protagonist which at the end leaves u confused altogether)
thou who could ... blah blah blah....hooooof
heheheheh...guess its setlled now ;)
btw...yesterday was reddy's b'day...we celebrated it in style...complete with bumps, cake and his make up ;)

Nitai said...

I am honored...such compliments and that too, coming from Vikhyat, the great...mera to jeevan safal ho gaya :-)

BTW, I think I know how you came upon my blog...think you searched for your name on the net and came to my site (waise, I can still not figure out how searching for your name would have helped solve your macro problem :-))