Mode C is as much for Calvin as it is for Chaos, as much for Cool as it is for Cold, as much for Class as it is for Crass.

Mode C is a way of life, the Calvin way of life which I am so fascinated by as to keep trying to make it my own way of life. But what exactly is Calvin's way of life, you ask...and I say that there are no clear answers to this one.

I strongly believe, however, that almost all the seriously critical fundamental concepts of life, they are just the bogies under Calvin's bed that he is afraid of. Everyhting else...Miss Wormwood, Susie, Mom and Dad, and of course above all, Hobbes...aren't they all merely the means that he uses to attack these bogies?

It is nothing, therefore, but the perspective of each of these players on the stage of Calvin's dramatic life that helps him fight these bogies and move on in his own unique way...listening to all but doing only what finally makes sense to his own individuality. This is what comes closest, I guess, to the Calvin way of leading one's life...

Sunday, September 05, 2004

Of wars and tired warriors

Contrary to popular belief (which, as is another matter, has taken a hit, given the recent B-school rankings, the less said about which the better), Sundays at IIMs are not all that hectic. In fact, if anybody has the patience and the drive to go through OCS, IIMK's internal mail system, he/she will realise just how much time all of us seem to have on our hands. And no, it is not limited to people who have taken OCS to be their battle ground and are sending in one mail after the other (with each mail saying that I did not want to mail/spam but I have been forced to do so by what others have done/written...sic!).

All this activity (resulting from a lack of activity) extends a broader reach. If you look carefully and try to pry into the conversations that are taking place in the IIMK mess hall this weekend, you will realise that almost everyone knows what has been happening. I believe that more than the patience of those who write the mails, we should admire the patience of those who actually go through the mails and use it as a time pass/conversation topic....

Much has been said about Kiran in the OCS wars and yet, I will say some more...for the uninitiated, Kiran is my batchmate here at IIMK. For all those who need more information, I quote from hearsay...he has 2+ years of experience in MNC(s)...he does not believe in participating in GDs since he thinks he is too good for others.

Anurag says that Kiran does not believe in the concept of 'batch'. I knew it would happen but didn't know that it will happen so soon...one day I say that Anurag did a good job explaining the difference between things that could have been done and things that should have done...and the very next thing you know is that he has outdone himself and written some crap about the batch concept and why his being younger to others gives him the opportunity to exhibit an external locus of control...ok, I overdid myself here but what can I do, it is in the air.

Aditya says that no body will want to give a VB CD to Kiran because he has antagonized the batch...Ashwarya says that Aditya is wrong...Amarpreet says that he is a bit crazy and so he can say that everyone is wrong (all that is fine but I didn't get the bit about the 'bit'...)

And what does Kiran say to all this? He says that he checks his mail every evening from 5 to 5:30 and that he finds all these mails a good pass time. Whenever he finds a good opportunity, he tries to stoke the fire further so that he will have another interesting session with his mails the next evening. And you know what, I tend to believe him...I have seen such people before...to be honest about it, I have been like this myself, at some other part of my life. The bad word to describe these people (there's always the bad word that can be used to mis-represent the facts in any situation) is 'megalomaniac'.

Personally, I don't believe this to be exactly true. More than being megalomaniacs, these people really know what they are doing and what effect is that going to elicit. If all my informed batchmates who have been flooding OCS with what they think about Kiran, actually look at him when he is doing all these things that everyone is so much against, they will get a different picture. The smile on his face...the twinkle in his eyes...the satisfaction on his countenance...all these will definitely tell the true story. He knows that what he is doing is going to get a negative reaction and he does it only because of that. It is not that he does not have experience in interacting with people...it seems to be the other way round actually...that he is more experienced than many others in understanding what can excite somebody and what can get the creative juices of the entire batch going in order to give Kiran his due...his daily evening show.

And due is what he and people like him always get...they are sure of themselves...perhaps too sure, I admit...they know that what others say or do is not going to affect them...not seriously enough anyways...they enjoy the limelight and more than anything else, they laugh at the futility at it all...at how they are the perpetrators of all that others think is actually their own creation.

Well, enough said about Kiran and the OCS wars...I am sure that the people of the other section will agree to that...and this too because they do not figure in the wars and are not able to get their Sunday really well spent...I have absolutely no misgivings about those people from my section who pretend that they are tired of the controversy and yet, shoot off yet another mail as soon as they get the chance. It is not human behavior, believe me...to be tired of controversies...oh come on, give me anything else any other day and I will take that but not this...

However, before I say adieu, must say that

I don't like people not throwing waste and storing it under the desks as treasures...courtesy Surabhi
What is said above has been said well...courtesy Pavithra
Hi to all and what has been said above has been said very well...courtesy Ankit
Hi to all and specifically to those who have said the above and said it very very well, in deed...courtesy Akshat
Who told people to go ahead with changing the sylllabus when I had so many points to give against the move...courtesy Tarun
The right channel should be followed while going to the teacher...courtesy Atul
The channel should be rightly understood to be the right channel by the teacher...courtesy Shounak
What I have written is my personal opinion...do not mind that little part about I and some of my friends...courtesy Kiran
How can we not mind that part...liar liar...courtesy Mayank
We will not only mind that part but will also not give you any VB Cds in the future, so watch out...courtesy Aditya
What is the meaning of a batch, or who is a batchmate (aka STI)...courtesy Anurag
I will do what I want to...STI (read who is a batchmate) get lost...courtesy Kiran
I will tell you meaning of the batch...eir bir phatte...come to my room for the full song...courtesy Deepak
Dare to think beyond the CBLs?? (current burnout levels)...courtesy Amarpreet

4 comments:

indiaGenie said...

rip-roaring blog!!
U've set the bar a notch or two higher.
Loved it. Dude its A VB CD (u mention XP the 1st time)
BTW: Kiran may be a veteran at understanding people, but that doesnt mean that he can shoot mails to faculty at his whims.

Have fun by all means but dont screw others. They are bound to reciprocate.

Mayank said...

well OCS wars have become the regular sunday feature... like at homes one was used to watcing "Mahabharat" .. we have got an imperfect substitue @ IIMK (or is it perfect... hey we need a poll on this too !!!)

Nitai said...

ok...so u got me Aditya..have made the change. BTW, was that reason enough to post multiple times (have removed the duplicate comment)

Yes Mayank, let's have a poll on this and on you guys' YM status msgs too...grr..

indiaGenie said...

i posted once. If blogdrive thinks it so damn good that it must be shown twice then who r u to delete it ???