Mode C is as much for Calvin as it is for Chaos, as much for Cool as it is for Cold, as much for Class as it is for Crass.

Mode C is a way of life, the Calvin way of life which I am so fascinated by as to keep trying to make it my own way of life. But what exactly is Calvin's way of life, you ask...and I say that there are no clear answers to this one.

I strongly believe, however, that almost all the seriously critical fundamental concepts of life, they are just the bogies under Calvin's bed that he is afraid of. Everyhting else...Miss Wormwood, Susie, Mom and Dad, and of course above all, Hobbes...aren't they all merely the means that he uses to attack these bogies?

It is nothing, therefore, but the perspective of each of these players on the stage of Calvin's dramatic life that helps him fight these bogies and move on in his own unique way...listening to all but doing only what finally makes sense to his own individuality. This is what comes closest, I guess, to the Calvin way of leading one's life...

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Quiz-o-mania


Today was officially the first full day of classes. We have been having a lot of orientation stuff that has been filling our daily routine but the first officially course content filled day was only today. The statistics class that began the day was as much a bore as it could be, probably because it was the first and introductory class. Once we move on to concepts like standard deviation, variance, co-relation, etc., I am sure that it will become more interesting. The worst part of the day, however, turned out to be two back to back classes on Information Technology. I can appreciate the need of IT in a management course, especially in today's situation, but somehow at IIMK, I have felt that there is quite a bit more than required emphasis on IT. This has also been the probable reason for the batch profile that has come in this year. Predominantly from the IT sector, the batch can be easily placed in the IT sector where they belong...or at least that is what the administration of this college thinks.

Last night was another interesting event in campus and that was Atharva, the quiz club, meeting for the first time this session. There was a general quiz conducted by Sanjeev and it was quite interesting. Surya from our batch seems like a good quizzer and our team (formed ad hoc and also comprising of Abhijit and Ramesh) came up with a decent performance by answering 17 out of 28 questions correctly. We did miss a few sitters but even if we hadn't, we were nowhere close to the winners who were in the 23-24 range. It might require a little more reading but we definitely can be in the reckoning in days to come.

I am planning to conduct a Bollywood Quiz soon. I had plans to do that on a grand scale in Infy but somehow, that never really materialised. I had prepared some questions and had devised an interesting format, too. Animesh had even adapted my quiz in parts to prepare his own quiz that he had conducted in Infy Mangalore. I have asked him back for all the materials and I guess that I should be ready with the quiz on a day's notice if the guys at Atharva give approval. On second thoughts, this might as well turn out to be the ice breaker I have been looking for...let's see...as for now, I am off to the last class of the day which promises to be sleep inducing...one, because I have already had my stomach filled and two, because the course is Micro Economics, which is supposed to be a pathetically theoritical one.

No comments: