Mode C is as much for Calvin as it is for Chaos, as much for Cool as it is for Cold, as much for Class as it is for Crass.

Mode C is a way of life, the Calvin way of life which I am so fascinated by as to keep trying to make it my own way of life. But what exactly is Calvin's way of life, you ask...and I say that there are no clear answers to this one.

I strongly believe, however, that almost all the seriously critical fundamental concepts of life, they are just the bogies under Calvin's bed that he is afraid of. Everyhting else...Miss Wormwood, Susie, Mom and Dad, and of course above all, Hobbes...aren't they all merely the means that he uses to attack these bogies?

It is nothing, therefore, but the perspective of each of these players on the stage of Calvin's dramatic life that helps him fight these bogies and move on in his own unique way...listening to all but doing only what finally makes sense to his own individuality. This is what comes closest, I guess, to the Calvin way of leading one's life...

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

One more time

It is time to give it another shot, take another chance and this time, do it with some faith and belief in the possibility of it working out after all. I am off to Kerala (to Thodupuzha, a place about 60 kms off Cochin) for the treatment of my peroneal nerve, and I am off for a good 20 days (a source of some envy at office, I am sure). For those who have been coming to this space over the last year, they would be undoubtedly aware of my condition which I keep bringing out in each of my posts in one way or the other (not that I can't help it but somehow, it does come out, what with it enjoying some tremendous top of mind recall).

This treatment is a combination of the immensely popular oil massage therapy of Kerala and herbal and Ayurvedic medicines that have been part of almost all Indian treat-at-home prescriptions. With the pedigree well established, the only question remaining is if it will be good enough for my ailment which has been given up on by all and sundry medical practitioners so far. They all start out with the claim of solving this issue but that is only till the time the fees is paid. As soon as the proverbial signature is made, unwavering belief in the treatment's efficacy changes to an unexplained skepticism on life's uncertainties. From "this will definitely cure you" to "no one can guarantee anything" takes but just one signature and one swipe on the card machine.

All I am hoping this time is that things are not the same as they have been for the last one and a half years that I have been grappling with this problem. Well, grappling is perhaps not the right word because given the enormous amount of sadness in the world caused by enormous amount of problems, my sadness and my problem is not even a small fraction of the scary possibilities that are there. I have been able to stand on my feet, walk if not run, and overall carry myself pretty properly after all. The limp is all that remains and of course, the fear that if things do not improve, they may after all degrade to something much worse.

In fact, the reason why I am so worried about the alarming frequency with which the different forms of treatment are proving ineffective is only this. I am fine with things continuing the way they are, considering them parts of my destiny and learning to live with my condition in the best possible manner. What I think I can not handle, however, is if things get worse and the good fortune that I have been blessed with by The Almighty ceases to exist.

Here's to hope, and to Kerala!

No comments: