Mode C is as much for Calvin as it is for Chaos, as much for Cool as it is for Cold, as much for Class as it is for Crass.

Mode C is a way of life, the Calvin way of life which I am so fascinated by as to keep trying to make it my own way of life. But what exactly is Calvin's way of life, you ask...and I say that there are no clear answers to this one.

I strongly believe, however, that almost all the seriously critical fundamental concepts of life, they are just the bogies under Calvin's bed that he is afraid of. Everyhting else...Miss Wormwood, Susie, Mom and Dad, and of course above all, Hobbes...aren't they all merely the means that he uses to attack these bogies?

It is nothing, therefore, but the perspective of each of these players on the stage of Calvin's dramatic life that helps him fight these bogies and move on in his own unique way...listening to all but doing only what finally makes sense to his own individuality. This is what comes closest, I guess, to the Calvin way of leading one's life...

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Top of the mind

The Indian Premier League is currently enjoying a very enviable top of mind recall, and perhaps deservedly so. Even though a lot of people had anticipated the IPL to be one rocking extravaganza, the "Manoranjan ka Baap" (do catch the ad if you haven't already) was a pleasant addition. With perhaps the most potent combination of cricket and movies that is possible in this country, the IPL is fast on its way to become a path breaker and a trendsetter. Comparing it to its poorer cousin, ICL seems such a shame now, given the remarkably comprehensive way in which IPL has emerged victorious, be it in terms of star power, money, facilities involved to things as simple as graphics, advertisements, side shows (remember the Akshay Kumar stunts in Delhi?). 

Apart from IPL, the other thing that has been keeping me occupied is my 'gareebkhana'. Thanks to Priya, the place is looking so much better and livable now. We have got the bean bags, an artificial fountain, a whole lot of kitchenware, and of course with the maid having started coming in, the overall appearance of the place is so very neat and clean. In fact, on Sunday, as the last few hours of the three day vacation were coming to pass, I had this inexplicable feeling of contentment at having finally managed to stay in a kind of place and in a kind of style that I always wanted to. Of course, it would have been great if I could have managed it in Delhi, but even if the new salary here in Bombay allows me this lifestyle, I shall be grateful.

At work, it is productivity that we have been talking about. In fact, it is a very interesting and debatable issue as to what is a good metric for productivity. If and once you are able to decide on this metric, do you have the systems required to measure that metric, or before that, to even record accurately the inputs required to measure that metric. For me, it has been a little difficult and yet extremely interesting to come to terms with this search for this metric, with the system lacking any substance at all, and the metric's visibility being almost non-existent. I also look at this entire exercise with a lot of interest because I have been at the other side of things so far, responsible for breaking all the rules and being, more or less, part of the reason why this metric is being considered in the first place.

In fact, this has led me to a difficult situation with my friends and colleagues working in the position I used to work for. I am, now, on the other side of the table, doing things that they would hate, imposing restriction, rules, and unreasonable-sounding requests that I would have as vociferously opposed as idiosyncrasies of the management. This, however, is part of what I have chosen for myself so I guess I will have to live with it. It will not be easy, of course, because with time, what is right now just good natured banter and teasing might take the form of talking behind my back or open criticism.

1 comment:

Nishith said...

Life is a bitch! And you Mr. Nitai are a dog. U do something that hurts me in the company and u land yourself into really big trouble. God save you then!!!